Pulpotec® is indicated for:
- Treatment of pulpitis on permanent vital molars;
- Treatment of molars suffering calcified root canal (for gerodontics).
- Treatment of pulpitis in primary vital molars;
- Treatment of pulpitis on immature permanent vital molars, enabling a complete radicular development of the tooth.
- Treatment of infected primary molars even in the presence of an abscess.
Antiseptics effect of pulpotomy materials is key because tissue repair only occurs in the absence of an infectious process.
Pharmacological constituents of Pulpotec® are important to understand the high clinical and radiographical success rate associated with this product. The pharmacological constituents are iodoform, polyoxymethylene, phenol, formaldehyde, guaiacol, and dexamethasone acetate. It leads to a paste with the following main properties:
- Antiseptics – antiviral, germicidal, sporicidal, antibacterial, antimicrobial;
- Local anaesthetic.
The antiseptics and anti-inflammatory constituents of Pulpotec® are broad spectrum. For example, formaldehyde is a relatively non-specific bactericidal agent, meaning it affects the growth and viability of most gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria as well as fungi. However, one of the main advantages of Pulpotec® is the synergetic action of the different constituents, making the product efficient against critical bacteria, including E.faecalis, E. coli or S. aureus.
Thanks to these constituents and their related actions, Pulpotec® allows an aseptic treatment, prevents contamination of the pulpal chamber by microorganisms and induces cicatrisation of the pulpal stump at the chamber/canal interface. But most importantly, it maintains the structure and vitality of the underlying pulp.
Maintaining vitality of underlaying pulp is key to benefit from pulp’s associated functions such as protection or development of root structure.
The vitality of the residual radicular pulp after a treatment with Pulpotec® is maintained. As highlighted in the scientific literature, it is confirmed that the components of Pulpotec®, formaldehyde in particular, are not diffused beyond the pulp chamber, but only react at the level of the interface paste / pulp, maintaining the vitality of the underlying radicular pulp.
Pulpotec® is composed of powder and liquid that once mixed, form a paste that quickly hardens (in about 7 hours). This fact is key for the safety of the product. Pulpotec® contains formaldehyde like Formocresol, but with the difference that the hardening of Pulpotec® eliminates the presence of volatile fraction which may penetrate the underlying pulp tissue, and produce undesirable systemic effect. In addition, Pulpotec® lacks the presence of cresol which potentiate the effect of formaldehyde on tissue protein.
To summarise, the action of formaldehyde stops with the setting of the preparation. The setting time period is sufficient to eliminate the bacteria. Longer setting time will induce mummification, potential inflammation and cellular atrophy. With quick setting time, only superficial fixation on residual pulp occurs, leading to conservation of the pulp vitality.
Having a simple and precise procedure is key to make your treatment more reliable.
Pulpotec® is specially appreciated for its easiness of use. The mixing procedure is simple. Pulpotec® consists of powder and liquid to mix extemporarily. It results in a uniform paste after mixing. In addition, the preparation does not adhere to tools.
With Pulpotec® you can think different. Having efficient and safe material, you can take advantages of pulpotomy treatment as alternative to pulpectomy, especially for permanent vital teeth. Compared to pulpectomy, pulpotomy treatment with Pulpotec® enables you to:
- Minimize the iatrogenic risks (apical extrusion, perforation, breaking of instrument);
- Reduce your stress regarding the management of potential complex apical area (instrumentation, disinfection, sealing, extrusion);
- Save time;
- Save money (about 50 treatments with one bought product);
- And… save the vitality of the tooth.
All these aspects can make your treatment more reliable. Last but not lease, it can also make your patient more smiling. Indeed, Pulpotec® has high clinical and radiographical success rate, but it has also great success in terms of pain management. Immediate pain relief is observed in more than 80% of the cases. In the minority of other cases, pain disappeared within 2-3 days.
Conclusion – Why to use Pulpotec®?
For more than 20 years, Pulpotec® is used worldwide. It is estimated that more than 25 million pulpotomy treatments were performed with Pulpotec®. The historical efficiency and safety of Pulpotec® is recognised by a wide range of international dentists that have experimented pulpotomy procedure on both primary and permanent teeth with Pulpotec®.
Pulpotec® is well documented in the scientific literature, including more than 30 published articles in international paper and more than 4’200 teeth treated as part of clinical trials and follow-up. It is highlighted in this literature that Pulpotec®, such as MTA, can successfully eliminate side effects associated with Formocresol and is recommended as pulpotomy materials thanks to their high clinical and radiographical success rate. The use of Pulpotec® allows you to save money, gain simplicity in preparation and avoid unesthetic tooth coloration compared to MTA.
To summarise, Pulpotec® is:
- Efficient, by ensuring an aseptic treatment thanks to its pharmacological constituents and by maintaining the vitality of underlying pulp;
- Safe, by limiting the action of pharmacological constituents to the interface paste / pulp;
- Simple, by making your treatment reliable and painless.
To take advantage of all these benefits, it is required to:
- Perform an uncompromising initial diagnosis;
- Carry out a pulpotomy scrupulously, using sharp-cutting instruments to assure a clear section, without tearing radicular fibres, and taking care of efficiently removing all the cameral pulp;
- Perform a perfectly tight permanent obturation, covering Pulpotec®;
- Respect all information given in the instructions for use.
BOX INCLUDES 15 G POWDER AND 15 ML LIQUID
* This product has not been regulatory cleared for sales in the US nor in EU.
** PRODUCT AVAILABILITY MAY DEPEND ON YOUR LOCAL REGULATION AND PRODUCT REGISTRATION STATUS.
“This method is simple to apply, saves time and is affordable. In the event of an unfavourable outcome, possibilities exist for endodontic treatment.”
“A preparation which surpasses in efficiency similar drugs being in possession of pediatric dentists. Simplicity in use, absence of pain symptoms during the treatment, decreasing of terms of treatment to two visits, keeping of pulp vital, shall be considered to be decisive advantages of the preparation. Positive results of medical trials of Pulpotec® preparation enable to recommend it for use in extensive clinical practice.”
Where to buy?
Please select your country from the list below.
*For market availability and regulatory classification of this product in your country, please contact Produits Dentaires S.A.